Saturday, February 28, 2009
The Demonstrator Website had a video on using the new to SU texture plates and they mentioned that you can sand our DSP to get the texture to pop-so I had to try it out-and here is what I got! both background papers are old olive print pattern plain paper run through the texture plate and then sanded gently-the flower is a Pretties Dyed to match the cameo coral paper-
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Well I will thank my customers Jackie and Lori for asking me to make a flower for inspiring my retro flower card and then Geraldine and Amanda for talking about pink and asking me to show them how to make the flower the other night for these cards. After class I went and put the flower I made demoing how to make the flower on a card and this is what I got-and since the paper was out I decided to keep going and try out my new Butterfly die. I learned a couple tricks as I was making these-one if you heat the pop up glue dots with the heat tool and then push the flower into it the flower holds together way better. Both flowers are now hanging with out popping up and coming apart. the other thing I discovered is that if I use a Q-tip to ink the edges of the die cut edge it makes a much neater well contained inking then using a sponge or dauber-and I can throw it out when I'm done-it takes a lot longer but the edges on this card were worth it since the style was fussy not antiqued. What do You think?
Monday, February 23, 2009
Okay here are my six cards together in one picture-don't they look nice? and this is my favorite card it's my own take on a gate fold card. I cut the paper to 11x4.5 and then scored it along the 11 in at 2.75 from each end. I layered on 4.25x4 inch panel and I punched the word window twice to create the "latch" and put the label die cut popped up over the holes, I used these new over sized brads to hold the latch onto the card. The whole thing locks together since the panels layer into each other as you close the card. I just love SU's Bill board letters that I used for "Hello"-read the next post to hear more about the challenge. I was thinking last night that from now on when I get a pack of new paper I will automatically cut 4 inches from one of each sheet and then cut that to 5.25, 5.25, and 1.5 and perhaps start curing my hoarding. This was so fun-I love this paper even more-and luckily for me SU puts two of each in every pack so I still have one more piece-but I love these cards so much it was worth cutting the paper all up!
Here are five of the six cards for the challenge I was host of-all products are Stampin' Up! of course. I can only put 5 pictures per post so this will require two posts. This striped paper was my absolute favorite of all the new paper-I was so afraid to mess up even one little panel-but I pushed through and it was worth it. I found that using one piece of DSP all the way through was quite liberating and opened up the creative flow-I didn't waste time on color choices and style choices the paper dictated all that and it freed up my creativity to focus on design of layout and use of tools and so I was able to let go of some hardware and buttons and brads-I got to play with some new dies and I was pushed to be more creative because I wanted the cards to be different but the same so I looked to my tools and stamps since my paper was taken care of! It was fun!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
I looked at my blog and realized I haven't posted in a week! I couldn't believe it-what a hectic week-getting valentines done-for the mail deadline for Emily and for Reilly, David had a Semi formal Friday night and wanted an Aqua Blue shirt to match his Date's Dress-not the easiest color to procure. I entered my Celebration Class to the Stampin' Up Class Challenge-so I won't show any detailed pictures. But here's a little peek at what I will be making with my class tomorrow night!
Monday, February 9, 2009
I decided to take a stab at this flower that is all over the place right now-I used this paper from the Retro Style watch Collection at stampin' Up! I went with Chocolate Chip Craft Ink for the Sentiment-it doesn't show up so well in the picture but it does look nice in person. I don't know who but someone started the idea of using the scallop punch for the edge and then scoring between the scallops-it was super easy and cute too!